Here are some tips for you after you purchase that book:
For first timers I recommend you to buy direct seedlings for vegetables that are difficult to grow from seed directly into the garden (tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, celery, broccoli and cabbage). Buy the ones that come in punnets, small containers that have the plants from the nurseries. Even though they may seem a little expensive, they give you the possibility to create future generations of seedlings from them, without having to buy new ones every year because you can choose varieties that are protected from family specific diseases.
The remaining vegetables from the list I provided earlier can be directly seeded and are not difficult to grow in the outside environment.
To plant the carrots, lettuce, spinach, radishes, beans and onions simply follow the instruction from bellow. They are exactly the instructions you will need in the following years when and if you decide you want to grow your own seedlings instead of buying them from the nurseries.
- Plant in the spring, 2 to 3 weeks before last frost, ½ inches (1 cm) deep, ½ (1 cm) inches apart, in rows 12 to 14 inches (30 to 35 cm) apart.
- After seeding cover with 1/8-3/8 (0,3 – 0,9 cm) inches of soil.
- As soon as the soil can be worked in the spring, direct sow seed 1/8 inch deep (3 mm), 1 inch (3 cm) apart in rows 12 to 18 inches (30 to 45 cm) apart.
- Follow the instructions on the packet for more exact info about the variety you have chosen.
- For spinach:
- As soon as you can work the soil in spring, sow seed ½ inches (1cm) deep, 1 inch (3cm) apart in rows 12 to 18 inches (30-45cm) apart (or broadcast seed across a wider area)
- Direct seed ½ inch deep (1cm), 1 inch (2cm) apart, in rows 12 inches (30cm) apart.
- Plant seeds one inch deep (3 cm), or even deeper if soil is dry about 2 inches (5 cm) apart, in rows 18 to 36 inches (45 to 91 cm) apart.
- Plant seed ¼ inch (50 mm) deep, ½ inch (1 cm) apart, in rows 12 to 18 inches (30 to 45 cm) apart.
- Plant seeds 1 to 2 inches (3 to 5 cm) deep, 1 to 4 inches (3 to 7 cm) apart in rows 18 inches (45 cm) apart